Write a Story for Finch
In this activity, the Finch will act out a story that you write. Follow the steps below to put together a presentation of that story for your classmates!
- Think of an interesting story that the Finch could act out. You can choose anything from a day in the life of a Finch to creating your own fairytale!
- Think of a few key details and events that you will need to include in your story. Try to create between 3 and 5 different scenes. (Hint: Making an outline may help with this step.)
- Write the script for your story. Remember to include who is saying what, and also what your Finch will be doing.
- Make a list of props that you will need to create. Does your Finch have a costume to wear? What does the background look like? Are there other characters?
- Program the Finch to act out your story! You can make the Finch move from place to place, change color, dance, sing, and speak. Try to make what the Finch is doing match your script and tell the story as best as you can.
Things to think about: Will you make the Finch act out the story autonomously (on its own), or will you create a remote control so that one person can control the Finch while another narrates? Either way will require lots of practicing and revising!
Will you have the Finch perform live, or will you record a video to present?
Teacher Note: This activity will require multiple class periods; however, students can do much of the preparation for the project without the Finch. Story writing and prop making can take place before the students begin working with the Finch. You may also want to allow one or two class periods after completion of the project for the students to present and share their work with each other. This will give them the opportunity to work on their oral communication skills by presenting their project, asking and answering questions, and providing feedback to their peers.